Starting a Business
The community of choice for starting, expanding or relocating your business
Whitby is home to a range of businesses from automotive, packaging, technology, health care, professional and technical consulting services to retail, restaurants, arts and culture and many more.
The Town of Whitby and, in particular, the Economic Development Office recognizes the contribution small businesses make to the local economy, and proudly supports the entrepreneurial spirit and economic development of the community.
Here are some helpful resource materials to get you started on your new venture:
- Business Events - including a variety of seminars and workshops, trade missions and networking events to assist small and medium business owners, and entrepreneurs grow their business.
- Economic Development Office - access to economic data, statistics, demographic and other related economic information available at no charge.
- BizPaL - search online to find out what permits and licenses a business needs from the government of Canada, the Ontario government and the Town of Whitby.
- MaRS Entrepreneurs Toolkit - essential information for emerging entrepreneurs, including a collection of funding sources for getting your business to the next level.
- Canada Business Network - for developing business plans including templates and samples.
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) - offers financing, business loans, consulting and venture capital to small and medium-sized businesses.
- Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Innovation (MEDI) - offers a series of programs and partnership opportunities to help business, industries and communities grow an innovative, sustainable and competitive Ontario economy.
- Service Canada - for programs and services related to starting a business.
- Business Immigration - for information on starting a business in Ontario
- Durham Home and Small Business Association (DHSBA) - a non-profit organization that promotes excellence and growth in home and small business in the Durham Region
- Whitby Public Library's website 'Minding Your Business' - offers information on library resources aimed at the business community, links to helpful government resources and information about Whitby.
ONe-Source for Business
To date, more than 10,000 businesses have registered for the Province's ONe-Source for Business service. The online portal provides quick and easy access to over 5,000 services and information from all levels of government, allowing small business owners to focus on creating jobs and competing in the global economy.
- find information about funding and grant programs
- create a virtual briefcase to securely access saved information at a later date
- complete and submit forms online, eliminating the need to mail them in
- find customized information about the permits and licences they need.