Why Clean Technology business is growing in Whitby
Whitby is in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and is centrally located in Durham Region. Whitby and Durham's strengths in the Clean Technology sector include:
- A cluster of companies specializing in technologies to support the nuclear and manufacturing industries. Durham Region - Ontario's Energy Capital (PDF 12 mB)
- Strong base of expertise in manufacturing, nuclear energy and technical consulting services
- Excellent access to the Canadian, US and international markets
- Well-educated workforce - over 90% of Whitby residents 25-64 years old have a high school certificate, post-secondary diploma or degree, and employers can access a diverse labour force with experience in a range of occupations
- Strong educational institutions:
- 43% of the University of Ontario Institute of Technology's external research funding in 2008-2010 was for energy related projects
- Durham College has a lead position in skills training programs in Renewable Energy Technologies
- The Region has a culture of collaboration, as shown by the growth and leadership of the Durham Strategic Energy Alliance (DSEA) which has fostered industrial/ academic/ government partnerships to develop:
- A regional innovation centre, Spark Centre, which nurtures the growth of high-technology start-up companies; and
- Innovative projects, such as the Electric Vehicle Charging Station Project to gather data relevant for the introduction of Smart Grid technologies.
- Strong electrical generation capability exists including the infrastructure to support its growth in nuclear, large hydro and thermal
- Strong Local Distribution Companies are active in pursuing the introduction of new technologies
- Government programs are in place to support research and commercialization.
- Skilled Labour Force
- World-Class Education and Training
- Unique Facilities for Research and Commercialization
- Competitive Business Costs
- Access to High-Speed Broadband
- Convenient Transportation Links
- Superior Quality of Life to Attract and Retain Talent
In addition, government programs and financial incentives for manufacturers help offset hiring, job training, export development, research and development costs.
View our success stories and learn why several companies choose Whitby and Durham Region as their Community of Choice. Contact Whitby's Economic Development Office for additional support or information.
Click on the image below to open and/or print the map.