Companies choose to expand here
A key measure of economic activity and growth in any community is the level of new investment. Recent investments include:
- GO Transit East Rail Maintenance Facility:
- Construction schedule for completion in 2017.
- Creating 300-400 full time jobs, primarily skilled trades positions.
- Primary support provider for the eastern GO commuter train network.
- Atlantic Packaging, recycled paper mill:
- Introduction of new technology and opening the first high performance lightweight recycled paper mill in North America in Whitby in March of 2013.
- Manufacturing and Technology Centre (MTC), refurbisher of electronics such as computers, computer games consoles, washers/dryers and numerous electronics products:
- Recently quadrupled the size of their Whitby facility to over 200,000 sq. ft. of space.
- Ball Packaging, manufacturer of aluminum beverage packaging:
- $30 million facility upgrade to accommodate new technology.
- The Abilities Centre, a world class recreation, athletic and performing arts facility fully accessible to persons of all ages and abilities.
- The 125,000 sq. ft. facility, adjacent to Iroquois Park Sports Centre opened in June 2012.
- Amenities include training tracks, basketball courts, fitness room, performing arts theatre, music studio, library and life skills room.
- Ventra Plastics, supplier of auto parts:
- Established assembly and sequencing plant for bumpers employing 80 staff in Whitby in 2012.