Welcome to Whitby: the Community of Choice
Recognized as one of the fastest growing communities in Canada, Whitby is centrally located along the north shore of Lake Ontario, in the heart of Durham Region.
Whitby is committed to maintaining, enhancing and developing its infrastructure, facilities and services to promote sustainable economic growth.
With its diversified economy, Whitby is increasingly the "Community of Choice" for business and families.
Community of Choice for Market Access
Whitby is located in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), the fourth largest metropolitan centre in North America. Whitby is situated 48 km (30 miles) east of Toronto.
Whitby is located on highways 401, 407, and 412, which offer high-speed access to the rest of the GTA and to multiple border crossings to the US. More than two-thirds of the Canadian market and a third of the American market are within one day's drive.
Whitby companies are well-positioned for inbound and outbound global shipping needs with three nearby deep sea ports, freight rail service and intermodal facilities (CN and CP), and three airports for air travel and cargo services.
Distances to Canada/US Border Crossings
- Fort Erie - Buffalo 211 km (131 mi)
- Lansdowne - Alexandria Bay 258 km (160 mi)
- Queenston - Lewiston 200 km (124 mi)
- Windsor - Detroit 435 km (270 mi)
Source: Google Maps
Whitby's Population is Growing Rapidly
- 2016 population: 136,377
- 2016 population aged 15 to 64: 94,243
- 2021 projected population: 156,915
- 2031 projected population: 192,860
Source: Manifold Data Mining Inc., 2016; Region of Durham Official Plan; Ontario Ministry of Finance
Community of Choice for Your Labour Force
Whitby has one of Canada's most diversified and stable economies, with one of the fastest growing populations. Employers locating in Whitby have access to a large and diverse labour force, highly experienced in all industries and working in all occupations. Companies have access to graduates from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), Durham College and Trent University, local educational institutes with a day-time student population of about 20,000 and thousands of part-time students. More than 30 additional university and college campuses are within an hour's drive.
Labour Force by Industry (2016)
- All industries 72,926
- Professional and Technical Services 14,191
- Health Care and Social Assistance 6,812
- Logistics and Distribution 6,669
- Educational Services 6,388
- Manufacturing 5,929
- Public Administration 5,206
- Accommodation and Food Services 3,608
- Information and Cultural Industries 2,751
- Utilities 2,427
- Arts, Entertainment and Recreation 1,520
Source: Manifold Data Mining Inc., 2016
Labour Force Indicators (2016)
- In the labour force 74,684
- Employed 70,114 (93.9%)
- Post-Secondary Education Completion 69,274 (94%)
Source: Manifold Data Mining Inc., 2016
Community of Choice for a Diverse Range of Economic Sectors
Whitby is one of Canada's most diversified and stable economies. Key sectors of opportunity are:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Clean Technology
- Professional and Technical Services
- Health and Medicine
- Information and Communications Technology
- Logistics and Distribution
- Government Services
Top Private Sector Employers
- 360insights (software)
- AECOM (architectural, engineering and construction consulting)
- Ball Packaging (beverage containers)
- Gerdau (steel)
- Golder Associates (geotechnical and environmental consulting)
- Keyscan (access control systems)
- Lear (auto parts)
- Manufacturing & Technology Centre (electronics)
- Patheon (pharmaceuticals)
- Realtech (water quality monitors)
Top Public Sector Employers
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Durham College
- Durham District School Board
- Lakeridge Health Corporation
- Ontario Power Generation
- Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
- Region of Durham
- Town of Whitby
Community of Choice for Live, Work, and Play.
- Three major 400-series highways connect Whitby to the rest of the GTA: Highway 401, Canada's busiest east-west connector; Highway 407; and the newly-completed Highway 412 connecting Highways 407 and 401.
- Easy access to three airports: Toronto's Pearson International Airport, Canada's largest airport; Toronto's Billy Bishop Island Airport; and Oshawa Executive Airport.
- Industrial and Commercial land and buildings are available at an average of 25-65% lower cost than other parts of the GTA.
- Approximately 470 hectares (1,160 acres) of new industrial land available by 2024 along Highway 407 and 412.
- Housing in both urban and rural neighbourhoods at 25% lower cost than the western and northern GTA.
- Whitby is financially stable, debt-free and offers balanced and competitive tax rates.
- Two vibrant and historic downtowns with hundreds of restaurants, shops and offices.
Visit our Publications page to find this and other information in a variety of formats.