Quality of Life
Choose Whitby for the lifestyle
Whitby offers a superb quality of life. Residents make use of some of the finest sports and recreation facilities in Ontario. Golf courses, indoor ice rinks, ball diamonds and community centres attract people from inside and outside the community. Active programming is available for all ages and interests.
Sports & Recreation
Whitby offers a variety of recreational programs for all ages. For more detailed information on the quality of life offered in Whitby including recreational facilities, programs, parks and trails visit the Town of Whitby.
The Iroquois Park Sports Centre is Canada's largest municipally-owned and operated sports and recreation complex.
The Abilities Centre is Whitby's newest facility and a world-class recreation/athletic facility, designed to be accessible to persons of all abilities.
Indoor & Outdoor Recreational Facilities
|Facilities||Number in Whitby|
|Recreational Trails||26 km|
|Waterfront Trail||14 km|
|Ice Pads (indoor)||10|
|Swimming Pools (indoor)||2|
|Marina / Yacht Club||2|
|Basketball/ Multi-Purpose Courts||25|
|Lawn Bowling Green||1|
|Figure Skating Rink||1|
Arts & Culture
Whitby combines a small-town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of an urban centre. Residents and visitors can participate in the many year-round events such as Harbour Day, the Whitby County Town Carnival, Doors Open heritage tour, Music in the Park, Heritage Day, Harvest Festival, Brooklin Spring Fair and Art in the Park.
Visit the Whitby Community Calendar for more details on each event.
Whitby's arts and culture gems include:
- Whitby Public Library (Central Branch) is a 54,000 square foot building anchored by a civic square with a reflecting pool. Built in 2005, the library won the Ontario Library Association's Building Award, and an interior design award from the Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario. The facility also offers wireless internet access, fireplace-equipped lounges, and an onsite café. There are three library branches in Whitby.
- Station Gallery, originally a train station and now an art gallery, features exhibitions by local artists, touring exhibitions, and art programs.
- Whitby Brass Band is a volunteer community band which performs at a variety of parades, events and other functions. 2013 will mark the band's 150th anniversary.
- Whitby Courthouse Theatre performs in the renovated 160-seat theatre in a 150 year old Ontario County Court House, now called the Centennial Building.
- Trafalgar Castle School is an independent residential and day school for girls grades 5 through 12. Constructed between 1859 and 1862 as a private residence, it is now home to girls from all over the world. Enrollment is kept to a maximum of 240 students.
- Durham College Food Centre with a focus on culinary arts will be operational in 2013. It will include hydroponic gardens, a food processing centre, agriculture and science laboratories.
- Whitby Seniors' Centres provide instructional classes, leisure programs and support services.
- Heritage Downtowns in Whitby and Brooklin are areas of historic importance to the community, and include significant heritage residential, commercial and institutional properties.
- LACAC Heritage Whitby assists the Town Council in the conservation and preservation of heritage buildings, properties, and resources.
- Historical Walking Tours are organized by the Whitby Public Library with assistance from LACAC Heritage Whitby.
- Whitby Historical Museum houses a unique collection of artifacts of early life in Southern Ontario. The museum is located in downtown Whitby.
- Film Whitby, with over 150 years of history, Whitby offers an abundance of filming locations in a variety of scenic locations.
- Brooklin Horticultural Society is a voluntary organization founded in 1921 for residents who enjoy creating attractive public and private gardens.
- Farmers' Market operates from May to October. Vendors sell fruits, vegetables, hand-crafted items, strudel, plants and flowers.
- Whitby Harbour Day, an annual celebration that highlights Whitby's great harbour facilities, including the Port Whitby Marina, the Whitby Yacht Club, Rotary Sunrise Park, Waterfront Trail, the Lions' Promenade, and Kiwanis Heydenshore Park.
- Whitby's County Town Carnival is an annual event held on Canada Day.