Innovation & Commercialization
Choose from many resources available for technology development and commercialization
The key resources are:
- The University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)
- Durham College
- The Incubator at Durham College
- Spark Centre.
UOIT has been awarded nine Canada Research Chairs and six Industrial Research Chairs in a diverse range of disciplines including:
- Aquatic Toxicology
- Advanced Energy Systems
- Health Informatics
- Decomposition Chemistry
- Robotics and Automation
- Digital Technologies for Collaborative Knowledge Discovery
- Innovative Design Engineering
- Nuclear Fuel
- Health Physics and Environmental Safety.
Canada Research Chairs advance basic research and Industrial Research Chairs undertake major research projects of interest to industry in science and engineering.
The Office of Technology Transfer and Commercialization (OTTC) connects innovative research projects conducted at the university with business and industry.
OTTC received funding from the Government of Canada to assist UOIT to partner with Durham and Northumberland Regions' small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), to solve research-based questions and have an immediate, positive impact on these businesses.
Durham College's Office and Research Services and Innovation received funding from the Government of Canada to pursue applied research partnerships with local SMEs. The college belongs to the Colleges Ontario Network for Industry Innovation (CONII), which is a network of 20 colleges dedicated to connecting business to the applied research and commercialization expertise of Ontario's colleges.
Special facilities are available for:
- Design work using Unigraphics (3-D drawings)
- Rapid prototype machine and plastic injection mold capability
- Environmental, destructive and non-destructive testing on all prototypes
- Additional applied research and testing priorities, which include the fields of alternative and renewable energy, construction, digital media, environmental technology, health and life sciences and manufacturing and materials.
The Incubator at Durham College, Whitby Campus - is a collaborative effort between Durham College, UOIT and the Durham Strategic Energy Alliance (DSEA) that focuses on early stage proof of concept for innovators and inventors in small and medium size enterprises.
Areas of expertise:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- IT/Digital Media
- Agri-business, Food, Hospitality.
- Space, equipment and administrative support
- Help with access to funding
- Technical expertise and project support
- A roadmap to information and resources
- Connections with commercialization resources
Spark Centre is an industry-led, non-profit organization providing technology commercialization services contributing to the growth of both the Durham Region and Northumberland County. The Spark Centre provides innovators, technology based businesses, entrepreneurs and researchers with services and programs to help them innovate and gain a competitive advantage.